Thursday 19 January 2012

Hello and welcome to Tree Tales. My name is Pierre

Now for a little bit about myself. I am currently in my second year of the Bachelor of Forest Management at the University of Alberta. Foresty is a pretty tight knit group and I enjoy my time with them, if you want to see what a one of them have to say you can see one of their blogs here. I enjoy many activities in and outside of school such as playing intramural sports and generally just having a good time with my friends. The intramural sports that I am currently involved in are hockey, ball hockey and volleyball. I am also a member of the University of Alberta Rugby club. Outside of school I enjoy doing many other activities such as skiing, mountain biking and just generally being outdoors.
In my field of study, I feel that communication technologies are a very large part of  the forest industry and will only become a larger an larger as we move into the future. The vast majority of this is used in document sharing. Many things in the forest industry are now done on the computer and usually involve large groups of people that can be spread out all over the place. With communication technologies it is possible for these people to work together no matter how far apart they are.

Social media is also beginning to play a major role in promoting the forest industry. In recent year there have been website such as Work Wild that have been created to help shed a more positive light on this industry that has usually been seen as a dying and environmentally damaging one.

All in all, I believe that communication technologies and social media will play an ever increasing roll in not only forestry by the job force as a whole and that in the future it will be just as much as an asset as any other skill.


Till next time,
Pierre

No comments:

Post a Comment